May 11, 2010

sheet music canvas

I have had a GIANT space of blank wall over my living room couch for far too long now. I thought I had figured out a plan by using some neat tin wall tiles, but hanging them was going to drive both Steve and I completely loco....so, we canned that idea. We hemmed and hawed and tried to rush the creative process, but people, c'mon - great ideas mustn't be rushed, am I right?!?!Finally, it hit me! I had a few canvases around and we've had these two empty frames that we'd be trying to figure out what on earth to do with. We have a piano in the living room and it hit me - use old sheet music to cover the canvas, then hang that canvas inside the bigger frame. Voila! Something BIG enough to make an impact over the couch and it would look great in the room.

Here's what I used:
  • old sheet music (from when I took piano lessons as a KID, hence the aged look!)
  • letter (simply printed from computer and cut out)
  • blank canvas
  • Modge Podge
  • sponge brush
I'm new to this, so I didn't take step-by-step pictures, but basically, here's how it goes. Tear the sheets, apply a thin layer of Modge Podge on the back of each sheet and lay them on. BAM! That's it! I did wrap the sheets around the sides so it would cover the sides of the canvas where the staples were. Once each piece was on, I let the whole thing dry for a bit. After a bit, I applied a coat of MP on the entire canvas, then let it dry. I then printed out a very large 'G' (used Word to make a giant one), cut it out, and glued it on with the MP. I let it dry, then applied one more coat of MP. Done. Seriously, other than the drying time, this project took 20 minutes, TOPS!


And here it is with the black frame around it. I just used a long piece of wide black satin ribbon to tie it up.


Here's a shot where you can see it up over the couch. I wish I would have gotten a better shot of the room, but I had my long lens on - this one will have to do. I think it looks good! But the pillows, not so much. I now have ANOTHER project to add to the 'to-do' list: new pillows for the couch!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails