July 19, 2010

drab 2 fab: great-grandma's hutch (almost done!)


Okay, so for the last several days, any and all of my spare time has been going into this project. We got this hutch out of my grandparent's house (there's been a trend here lately of finding things over there!) and my mom told me it was my great-grandmother's (our daughter's namesake).

When I saw what great condition it was in, I couldn't pass it up. My mom was just going to either sell it or donate it. WHAAAAT?!?!

MINE!!

The details are beautiful! It has four doors on top, two with glass, and two with wire backed with plexiglass. Then there are two doors down below on either, hiding shelves, and three drawers in the center.


I immediately loved the lines and the details. The curves of the wood...the etching...just beautiful!!



And the HARDWARE!!! Ohhhhhhhh....LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!




So, with all this beauty, I'm guessing people are wondering why on earth it would even NEED a makeover. I suppose technically I could have just wiped it down and brought it in the house....

....BUT....

...that's not what happened. LOL

See, the thing is...the color of wood just wasn't going to be a good fit in our house. At first, I wanted to paint it white. Then, I changed my mind and thought I'd paint it black. THEN, I thought if I painted it black, I'd surely paint the INSIDE white so whatever I had in it would pop. My mind changed AGAIN when I started thinking maybe I'd paint it a COLOR - you know, really make it a WOW piece! But, I couldn't decide on a color, so I came full circle back to white. White....with an unexpected surprise....

...and after much sanding, painting (ohhh, the coats of paint), distressing, and surprising...

...here's what we've got so far!!

It's all done, minus the top doors!! I'm completely and totally in love! It turned out SOOO much better than I had even imagined!!


Look at these DRAWERS?!?! The curves...the hardware...the distressing...

My heart just goes pitter pat when I see the pictures. I'm like a purring kitten - total contentment!!


And the surprise was lining the inside of the back with paper. I found this paper at Hobby Lobby. It was in the gift wrap section, but this is a very thick wrapping paper. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was THE paper for this project!!


Here she is inside. Right now, since the top doors aren't done, I'm pretty much just using it for display. But, it will serve as a more functional piece once the doors are on. I have plans for vases, china, serving pieces, and cook books to live in here. My mom was here as I started tossing things on top to decorate it and make it look extra purdy. The little black suitcase was also my great-grandmother's and my mom thinks it was her 'train case' that she carried her make-up in when they traveled. Neat, right?!?!


I've even got my grandmother's old Better Homes and Garden's cookbook in there, with her notes and writing by certain favorite recipes.


And that's what I'VE been working on!! I really couldn't be happier! I still need to finish those top doors, but for now, I'm going to enjoy it as-is. I hope my great-grandmother is looking down from heaven with a smile on her face, saying, "Atta girl!!"

**HOLY COW!! Featured at:**

**Linking up to the following:**


The DIY Show OffMaking

UndertheTableandDreaming The Girl Creative

giveaways




Show and Tell Green CreativeShareWednesdays

giveaways




Funky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialVisit thecsiproject.com

Photobucket




57 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks wonderful. I've been scouting out old hutches and buffets, I'm totally going to bookmark this. I love how you took off the doors. Very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out FABulous! I love the black and white. It must have taken FORever to paint :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWza!
    I love this!
    Can I feature it on my blog?
    Like right now? LOL.
    Let me know, people NEED to see this makeover :)
    ~Shelley
    houseofsmiths.blogspot.com
    casonshelley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING! You did a wonderful job! I LOVE the background pattern - so cute! And I love your monogrammed mugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRILLIANT! BEAUTIFUL! AMAZING! I have thought often about adding damask to the back of my red hutch... now that I see yours I am so considering doing it now. It looks so great without the doors, but I am sure the doors will complete it. WELL DONE. p.s. I would love for you to link this to my craft blog... your hutch NEEDS to be shown off.. craftomaniac.blogspot.com Thanks Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all SOOO much!! You all MADE. MY. DAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that does look so great!! All those coats of white paint really paid off. It's nice that you had the space for that beauty. What a great makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am truly at a loss for words! This is amazing. I'm looking for one just like this for my daughter's bedroom, so to say I'm a little envious is an understatement! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is an amazing transformation. The black and white is gorgeous. You have done a fantastic job - simply stunning! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. SUCH a beautiful piece. And you styled it just wonderfully~you could work for a magazine, come style the top of my hutch?

    Oh and I added your post about the hydrangeas to the nest files! Scroll down a little
    http://nester.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is GORGEOUS!!! I love love love the black & white paper! The white is so clean and bright and fresh looking! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! all your hard work really paid off! it is a thing of BEAUTY! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an amazing job! I just love it!!!! My grandmother had the exact same hutch. Unfortunately, it is no longer in the family--but if it was I would love to do something very similar to what you did. It is just gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a transformation! This turned out fantastic.
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Krissy, Just wanted to let you know I featured your hutch today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks again for joining the Sunday Showcase Party - I greatly apprecite it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! What an amazing change. That is so beautiful. You did an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SOOO gorgeous!! Our bedroom is black and white Damask... this is the prettiest hutch I've ever seen by far! Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! It's fresh yet classic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its wonderful...found your blog from Stephanie's party. I undertaking a kitchen hutch makeover this week in my garage. lol I love the paper in the back..Im doing my teen daughters room in a paris int'l theme and that paper would be fabulous. Thanks for sharing such a great transformation....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Krissy


    I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

    Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/redoing-grandmas-hutch/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, let me know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is gorgeous! I'm so jealous. I found you through the Blue Cricket Design like party. I just wish I could talk my husband in to letting me get a hutch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is beautiful. I love it. Thanks for sharing. Karie @ karieschiccreations

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks FABULOUS! I love the curviness of the piece, too! It all came together wonderfully, with your decorating finds. Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. just beautiful! I absolutely love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it!! Your hard work has paid off in this marvelous rendition of your Grandmother's hutch. I have to admit that I really, really like it without the doors. Your background paper and items on display deserve to be seen.:) Maybe just finish the doors and keep them on hand for down the road. Most excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is gorgeous!! I bought a hutch a couple of months ago and have been going back and forth trying to decide what color to paint it just like you did. I absolutely love this, though, and think I'll be copying you. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is so beautiful. I can't even tell you how much I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely beautiful!! I'm a huge fan of the white, you know! I hope you can link up on Saturday (really tomorrow afternoon) for Style Feature Saturday. Awesome job! And thank you for the sweet comment about Ava's party! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. So pretty! I LOVE the pattern in the back. It looks perfect against the white.

    Thank you for participating in the Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Holy WOW!!!! I want/NEEEEED something like that for my house. Absolutely amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is GORGEOUS! You did a great job & so special to have something of your great-grandma's... I'm putting it in the SPOTLIGHT at the PoPP on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is so beautiful! great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Her makeover looks outstanding...she has sooooo much charm! Hope you have a FUN weekend.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yep, I'll say it again. Fabulous! Thanks so much for linking up to Style Feature Saturday! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love how this came out..it is going on my list of makeovers I admire on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you all again!! All of your comments have put such a smile on my face!!! I really appreciate your kind words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gorgeous!!! I love the paper you picked for the back.

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMG!!
    What a fantastic transformation!
    You were right about the great features it had but you really made it into a masterpiece!!
    I love the wallpaper you chose too!!
    Gorgeous!!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absolutely stunning. i know your grandmother would approve! Just curious how you attached the paper to the back of your hutch.

    And congrats on being featured this week on PoPP!

    Brittany
    www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. OH. MY. WORD!!! I have been searching and searching for a hutch, not know what I wanted, but I KNEW I'd know it when I saw it.........and I'm sorry to say, but YOU have MY hutch! lol
    Seriously I LOVE it!! it's EXACTLY what I'd like to find!! now I know what I'm looking for!!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your new china cab is GORGEOUS!!! And you have arranged everything so nicely. How wonderful to have something from your great grandmother. The train case is adorable, too.
    Hugs, Cindy S

    ReplyDelete
  42. Really beautiful! You did a terrific job. I'm sure it was a lot of work. I love the paper you used on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love it! I want a hutch for my new craft room, but I haven't been lucky enough to find one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, it's gorgeous! I just did one very similar to this last week! If you have time, check mine out here:
    http://lessthanperfectlifeofbliss.blogspot.com/2010/07/french-cabinet-makeover.html

    ReplyDelete
  45. Krissy, beautiful transformation! Can you share how you attached the paper to the back of the shelves? Mod Podge perhaps? Love it - great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Holy Cow! I love it!
    It looks wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!! That is just a beauty!! it was pretty before but now.just WOW!! I love the back paper you used!! I would have never thought of using wrapping paper!

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a difference! I never would have thought to buy it in its original state but after your brilliant changes I would have to have it! Once again I'm jealous of all your folks who have a Hobby Lobby near you. I'd love to pick up some of that paper for some creative projects of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  49. My goodness that is a beautiful piece! You did a fabulous job bringing it up to date. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Absolutely beautiful! I was thinking of using vintage wallpaper to line the drawers of my new french blue vintage dresser, but after seeing your post, I am headed to Hobby Lobby!

    I am now a follower of yours:).

    ReplyDelete
  51. This post was so inspiring.. My mom recently passed away and this is her dining room set complete with Hutch, Table, and Sideboard. We were going to sell it but now after seeing this post I am keeping it and staining it to match more of my style.. I love this project! Thanks for the great idea

    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  52. The hutch is absolutely gorgeous! You did an amazing job and the paper is perfect! It's amazing how updated the piece looks now! Your great-grandmother would be very proud.

    Saw you over at Blue Cricket Design!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I know I already commented on this post, but ever since I saw it, I can't get it out of my head! I've seen a ton of hutch redos, but this is by far my favorite, it's just so gorgeous! I'm featuring you in a post tomorrow about buffets/hutches on crazydomestic.com. feel free to grab our "I was featured" button!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails