July 21, 2010

monkey how-to's: chipboard letter wall art

I think this is my first tutorial! This is SUCH an easy project, I almost felt silly taking pictures of the steps. But hey, why not, right??

I've been wanting to find a sign or letters to spell something out up over the sliding glass door in our eating area. I didn't really know what I wanted, but knew I'd know if I saw it. Do you ever have that happen? You're not sure what you might like, but as soon as you see something, you know THAT'S IT!!

I was in Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago seeking out paper to line that back of the hutch I was working on. While looking for the paper, I saw a ton of giant chipboard letters in the scrapbooking section - .99 each!! So I grabbed E-A-T and my paper, and $7 later, I rolled out of HL with some great ideas!!

Before using any of the paper on the hutch, I actually came up with this project. I sprayed the chipboard letters with some black spray paint I had, then decided I'd cover the fronts with the paper.

Here's what I did:

Supplies needed:

chipboard letters
paper
Mod Podge
sponge brush
scissors

I laid the letters on top of the paper and traced them.


I then cut the letters out of the paper.

See...EASY, right?!?!


Ok, then I took a little Mod Podge, put a light coat on the chipboard letter, and then laid the coordinating paper letter on top. I smoothed out the bubbles and wrinkles.


I did the other two letters the same way. I'm not joking when I say that up to this point, this project had consumed MAYBE 5 minutes of my time. This is a QUICKY project!!!


Once they seemed sorta dry (let's face it, I barely waited for the paper to be stuck ON!), I took my fabric cutter and trimmed off a little bit of paper that seemed to hang over the chipboard. I guess my tracing skills aren't so hot. LOL


Finally, I slapped on another coat of Mod Podge.

That's it. Done. How EASY is that?!?!

And, best of all....

CHEAP!

You figure, $3 for the letters, and just pennies for the paper (I think the whole roll - and it's a BIG roll - was $4). And I'm guessing most crafters have Mod Podge on hand. So really, you could do something like this in very little time for a small amount of money!


I hung the finished letters with the 3M velcro hangy things. LOVE THOSE!


I think they 'pop' off the wall nicely, don't you? The black and white against the muddy/putty color of our walls?


I hope you liked this first 'monkey how-to!' This was a fun project for me and one I had to share. I think it would be easy enough to do with kids too. How fun would it be to do this same project, then embellish them with scrapbooking accessories, like dimensional flowers, stickers, ribbons, etc. I think my daughter would LOVE to do this project - maybe to spell out something for her room or for display in the play room. The possibilities are endless!


5 comments:

  1. totally cute! ive been wanting to do something in out dinning room (its nto formal) cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening~ Just wanted to let you know you have been featured on my blog. Thanks so much. Jen~ Craftomaniac.blogspot.com enjoy your evening.

    P.S. adore your EAT sign, I made some too only in frames with vinyl and burlap. I think we hung ours in the same spots. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just got to try this!
    I am your newest follower!
    Have a good night~
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute letters. I love Mod Podge - endless projects to be done. I also like your valance. Very similar to the ones I made. http://dandelionsanddustbunnies.blogspot.com/2010/07/kitchen-valances.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails